Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Don't Dream it's Over

As a native Buckeye I'm of course saddened by yesterday's game. "Surely they can't lose two national championships in a row, can they?" Yes they can, and don't call me Shirley. I've done a little pondering over the game itself, but not too much. Instead I'm counting down the days until pitchers and catchers report for Cubs spring training.

The one thing I do keep thinking about from last night has nothing to do with Ohio State. Early in the game one of the players for LSU had to come out because of an injury. It turned out that it was too severe to return to play. The worst was that this guy was a senior. Little did he know that he had played the last play of his last game. In the end his team finished number one, but I imagine it was bitter-sweet. I'm sure he would have given that arm just to play a few more minutes in the biggest game of his life. It was like he was the anti-Rudy (you know, Rudy, Notre Dame, guy that played Sam in Lord of the Rings.)

Makes you wonder about what dreams we've missed out on over the years. Looking back, I can think of a bunch of things I should have tried when I was in high school and college (good stuff mind you.) There are still things I'd like to do, but I realize I'm just too lazy. I'll never know what I'm missing. That guy on the sidelines had worked so hard to get there, and all that kept him out was the trainer's ok. So who's in the better (or worse) spot, the guy who tried but was kept from finishing, or the guy who never tried (never failed), but never knew what he missed?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics

RefTagger from Logos

FeedFlare