Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Devoted

Like most people this week we've been watching the Olympics every night. It's amazing what these athletes are willing to do just to compete at this level. My own athletic career was hardly worth mentioning in the same paragraph. It was just something to do in high school. So I don't know if I'm impressed or mystified by the fact that these athletes eat, sleep, and breathe their sport every day. Sure, most of them are in their teens or twenties and they have their whole lives ahead of them. But personally I can't imagine devoting four, eight, even twelve years to one single task. I know competition is what drives them, but then what? When it's all over what comes next? Yes, they do what I could never even try, but given the chance I'm not sure I would. It seems that there is so much more to devote one's life to. Anyway, I think more swimming is on. Got to go.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Google Analytics

RefTagger from Logos

FeedFlare