Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Necessary Duty

Here's the short version (as short as I can get it). The conversation that I had with myself last night as I was driving home from a meeting went something like this: why don't I love prayer? Sound like an odd question? Here's my though process. I realized that I've fallen in love with the Bible. It started out as a love for reading and studying the Bible, a love that began in Seminary. But now the honeymoon is over, but I still feel that I love the Bible, just in a more mature, less emotional way. As a result I think I've fallen in love with Jesus. I think I'm masculine enough to say that and not blush. I guess I just did. The two go hand in hand it seems; it's hard to love the Bible and love the one whom it's all about. But here's the thing, the thought that isn't going away or getting answered. Why haven't I fallen in love with prayer? To be clear I'm not interested in falling in love with prayer itself; not the act of praying. What I want is to fall in love with praying with my God. I think that's the right way to say it; it's not praying to God that I want, it's praying with God. It's a conversation, right? Yet I know what I want, but I can hardly say that I've fallen in love with prayer. I'm not sure that I can say that I like it. I don't hate it, but today it feels like a necessary duty. I'm not comfortable with that, not just because I know it's the wrong answer, but because it feels wrong to not be passionate about speaking with the Father.

Wheeeww...glad I got that down in type. Now for your feedback.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Google Analytics

RefTagger from Logos

FeedFlare