Tuesday, December 16, 2008

It's a dirty job...

Lately the "parable of the sower" has been on my mind. In truth it's because it is likely on the horizon for preaching soon. Even more it seems to fit will with the model of ministry that we are currently developing at our church (I'm sure I'll have more to say about that later).

Right now I'm simply making observations. Here's one to chew on: "And these are the ones along the path, where the word is sown: when they hear, Satan immediately comes and takes away the word that is sown in them." (Mark 4:15, ESV)

I don't want to over analyze and miss the forest for the trees, but first off, what is it that Satan is doing in this verse? Here are a few initial thoughts:
  • This passage isn't really about four soils, it's about two; good vs. bad or receptive vs. unreceptive.
  • From early on in his ministry Jesus was dealing with Satan/demons who were attempting to restrict (or twist) what he was trying to do.
  • Satan is coming to take away the word (the gospel), something he's been trying to do from the very beginning (see Genesis 3, "Did God really say...?"
  • Hearing happens but because truth is being devoured all that's left to hear is lies.
So here's the question I'm working on: What is the Church's role in leading people to healthier soil?

Maybe the Parable Queen will weigh in on this one, but I'd like to hear from others. Like I said, this is a work in progress.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Google Analytics

RefTagger from Logos

FeedFlare