Monday, January 18, 2010

Remember the Sabbath Day

A body pillow.

Image via Wikipedia

I’ve been thinking a lot about what it means for me to “remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy” (Ex. 20:8). I am being challenged to really nail down what my conviction is about the Sabbath and then to put those convictions in to practice.

The thing that seems to complicate the situation most for me is that Sunday is a ‘work day’. In what sense should that day be a day unique from the other six? I take a day off during the week, a day that I don’t spend at the church. But that day is hardly a day of rest. It’s a catch-up day to get to things that have been neglected for a week.

As I try and discover how the Sabbath is supposed to be observed, one thing seems to be loud and clear: I need to slow down. All those things I want to do, all those books piled up to be read, all that time that would be better spent with people. Busyness seems to steal from them all.

I’m reading Scripture, I’m reading books, I’m praying and thinking. But I’m not at a clear answer yet. So tell me, what is your Sabbath like? What has worked for you? Do you have strict rules you follow? When do you know you’ve sabbathed? I’m listening.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics

RefTagger from Logos

FeedFlare