Image by GavinBell via Flickr
What was that?
Monday night as we were putting the kids to bed the power went out. That by itself is not all that unusual where we are. We new it was something bad when it was accompanied by a loud POP! At first I figured our space heater had just tripped a circuit breaker.
It turns out the pop sound (actually two) that we heard were a couple of our surge protectors doing their job. Fortunately the casualties only include a space heater and the two surge protectors. All of our other electronics were spared. I don’t know what was the actual cause of the power surge but I know it was area wide and not something we caused.
Safe at home?
In the midst of running to the basement to reset the tripped circuit breakers my mind was troubled with a couple thoughts. First, I was hoping my TV, stereo, DVD player, Wii, computer and other toys weren’t harmed. Second, I was praying that there wasn’t some dangerous faulty wiring hiding behind one of our walls soon to burn the house down.
This morning as I was reading my Bible I came across this familiar passage:
"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:19-21, ESV)
I know that my ‘treasures’ are not only vulnerable to moth, rust, and thieves, but to power surges and lightning strikes as well. I bought a new heavy duty surge protector to keep my ‘treasures’ safe in the future but common sense tells me that they will never truly be safe.
Where my heart is.
The only thing that is truly safe is to treasure the things of God; the things that are not vulnerable to the worst this world can throw at them. I am convinced and convicted that too much of my heart is attached to these earthly treasures.
Lord Jesus help me to treasure heavenly things!