Sunday, December 28, 2008

Blogging Mere Christianity - Part 2

In my opinion Book I. of Lewis' Mere Christianity is worth the price of the book by itself. What a gift it is to be able to explain somewhat complex ideas in such conversational ways as Lewis does in this book. It has been a treat to read this work once again and I look forward to hearing what others think about it as well, especially some of you first time readers.

Here are a few lines from Book I. that I have underlined. What has stood out to you.

"If we do not believe in decent behaviour, why should we be so anxious to make excuses for not having behaved decently?" (Book I., ch. 1, p. 6)

"The moment you say that one set of moral ideas can be better than another, you are, in fact measuring them both by a standard, saying that one of them conforms to that standard more nearly than the other." (Book I., ch. 2, p. 11)

"You find out more about God from the Moral Law than from the universe in general just as you find out more about a man by listening to his conversation than by looking at a house he has built." (Book I., ch. 5. p. 23)

Happy reading!
blog comments powered by Disqus

Google Analytics

RefTagger from Logos

FeedFlare