Saturday, October 10, 2009

Don't believe everything you read

Just the other day I received an email forward with this picture and the following text:

"I took this picture on I-20, traveling to Leeds , AL. It has given me strength in the times of trouble. I feel I should share it with the rest of the world. I hope it is an inspiration to you. It just goes to show what we already know...We have a God, and he's watching over us.I e-mailed this picture to News Channel Fox6. I was contacted by Meteorologist James Spann. He said that this picture of the sky is showing up in all states and around the world. He wanted to know where I was from and where I took it. He saw a similar picture taken in Texas . He said this is amazing to him.

Would you look at this picture? It reminds me of that song 'He's got the whole world in his hands.' He is definitely in control. I needed this today more than ever. Enjoy and pass it along!"


I don't mean to put a damper on those who find inspiration from these kinds of things. The problem I have is that when we pass these things on we give further support to the non-believing world that Christians are undiscerning, superstitious people who see only what they want to see.

A quick search on snopes.com reveals that this is obviously just a photoshoped picture and a fictitious event. Even the text of the email has been changed from the original (different location, different spotter).


Again, I don't mean to offend anyone here. But if you're looking for inspiration or for evidence of God's "hand" at work in this world, please, read what God has already revealed about himself in Scripture. It's a much more reliable source of information.

So when someone sends you a forward like this just delete it. You might think that by forwarding it on you might brighten someone's day, but what are you really offering them? If you want to share something, share truth.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
blog comments powered by Disqus

Google Analytics

RefTagger from Logos

FeedFlare